× Error!

Which properties can I bid for?

When Choosing a property to bid for, you need to consider a number of things:

Before you bid - Check out the location of the property on a map to make sure it's really a place you would consider moving to. Much landlord time is wasted trying to contact bidders who don't attend viewings because they don't really want to go to that area.

Partner landlords have descretion to make direct offers outside Locata to certain types of high priority applicants under certain circumstances (e.g. if you are an emergency band A applicant who is not making bids). Please see your registering partner's Allocation and Lettings Policy for full details.

Your bid will not count if, for example, the property is for homeseekers only and you are a transferring tenant.
Some properties have a minimum age requirement, for example, in some cases only people over 50 can apply.


Sheltered properties are usually for people over 60. As well as minimum age, your council or housing association must assess you for Sheltered Housing. If you are interested in Sheltered Housing, contact your housing officer and ask for an assessment.

To for a property in a specific council area, you must either be on the housing register or a tenant of that council.

Housing associations tenants registered with one of the partner housing associations may also bid for properties within the borough they live. However, the London Borough of Ealing, Hammersmith and Fulham and Hounslow will treat them as Homeseekers.

Homeseekers bidding can only bid for properties that are advertised with a 'H' or with both 'H' and 'T' icons.

Council and housing associations tenants bidding can only bid for properties that are advertised with a 'T' or with both 'H' and 'T' icon.

Properties advertised in the Cross Borough section of Locata HOME are available to members registered in any of the council areas covered by the Locata Scheme.

This is intended to provide a guide to people who have various levels of mobility needs. This does not restrict anyone else from bidding for these properties but the advert will often say that priority will be given to members with mobility needs.
Most landlords will not allow you to keep a dog or cat unless the property has its own garden. If you have a pet, please check with the landlord.
Some landlords do not offer families with a child one-bedroom properties.

If you are in rent arrears

If you have been involved in anti-social behaviour

If you have enough money or income to afford a property in the private sector

You can ask your local council or landlord if any of these circumstances apply to you. You can also ask them to review their decision to exclude you from the scheme at any time.